Friday, April 4, 2008

Memories of My Dad

Today is my Dad's birthday, April 4th. It is a day that is bittersweet. He died 3 years ago. My dad was a wonderful man and taught me some incredible lessons by his example. When I think back over my life, I realize that I did not appreciate him as much as I should have. First of all, he was so out-numbered by his six daughters he really did not have a chance to survive all of our sweet talk. Nonetheless he taught us to work hard....something I am very thankful for.

I have fun memories of our family trips to Lake Powell. Unpacking our boat in the heat at Lake Powell. Lots of water skiing, eating and spending time together. We would often stop the boat and jump in the water just to cool off......floating in our orange preservers laughing and having fun. My mom would always make wonderful sandwiches on the boat with her Squaw Bread......a family favorite! We spent many summers at Lake Powell. Dad would spend hours driving the boat around so each of his girls would get a fair chance to water ski.....something we all loved. Of course, there was unspoken competition between all of us girls. We each thought we were the best water skiier.

The fondest memories I have are the times we spent at Bear Lake. My parents worked hard to obtain a place for our family on property that my Grandparents owned. My dad was always working on "the cabin." Yard work, building, painting, and watering. Much love and hard work
went into our place at Bear Lake. I loved to take my own children up in the summer to experience the fun I use to have. Riding motorcycles up the canyon and visiting The Rock Store in Laketown. My dad loved to ride Big Red up on the trails by our cabin. We would often take the trip around Round Valley...the long trail ride up to Temple Flats...or just back and forth to the reservoir time and time again. My dad always had a motorcycle for his girls to ride. We had such a great time together. Those memories are so sweet.

My Dad's famous motto was "Remember Who You Are" I put much importance on that statement now. I realize now that my dad taught me so many important things without me even realizing it. He served faithfully in his Church callings. Always taking them seriously and doing his very best. I knew he had a testimony. He was very diligent. He would always attend all his Church meetings. He supported his daughters and his grandchildren in everything they did. I admire him for being a great Priesthood holder in our home.

The grandchildren loved and respected my dad. He made them work! Sometimes he was stubborn and a little harsh with them. He loved them and wanted them to learn to work hard, to help out and step up. Good on Ya.....a familiar little phrase he would say all the time. When the grandchildlren turned 16 he gave the grandsons guns and the granddaughters a birthstone ring. He tried hard to set a good example for them and encouraged them to serve missions. He was always there for the Grandsons when they left. So loving and supportive. I remember him coming to Arizona to be here when Ryan came home from his mission. I love him for that.

I remember when I lived in Washington State when Max was in Law School. A couple of times he came up to visit me. It was a long way to come. It was special. I knew he noticed how desperate we were. Those were tough times. He helped me replace some carpet in my bathroom. It was so badly needed. We went on some fun drives just to sight see and then he would take me to lunch. A few weeks after he left, there was a knock at the door and there was a lady there from our ward. She had several sacks of groceries that she had purchased for us. Dad had sent money up.....he wanted to make sure we had enough food in the house! He was so sweet.

When Max was finished with Law School, we moved to Arizona. My mom and dad would come down and spend the summers at Greenfield Village. It was so fun to have them here. Dad would always help me with major projects at my house. Yard work, and painting were usually needed. He was such a hard worker. I think that is the most important lesson I learned from my Dad. He taught his girls to work. It has always been a family joke, weeding the rock pile.! My dad would wake us up on Saturday morning to a few hours of yard work. He would not let us get out of it. I value that now. I love to do yard work! Go figure......I guess I took those lessons to heart!

I miss my dad so much. I think of him so often and wish he were here to see my own family grow up. I would love my children to know him better. I know my older kids remember him, but Kevin has no firm memory of him at all. If he could hear me today......I would tell him how much I love him and thank him with a big kiss for everything he taught me. I love you Dad!

0 comments: