Sunday, March 29, 2009

Living In Another World

This weekend our little family took a trip to Rocky Point in Mexico to help one of Kevin's friends complete his Eagle Project. This project involved insulating and sheet rocking two small houses in the outskirts of Rocky Point.

As we drove to the location I was taken back by the extreme poverty that existed in this little community. First of all it is very dusty...maybe even sandy. They live in their yards, having only a small shack for sleeping. Their homes are made from anything and everything they can find. They do their wash outside with washboards and hang all their laundry out to dry....in a dusty climate. Most of the children have no shoes. Every family (I'm pretty sure on this one) has at least one dog...most have several. Everywhere you looked there was a stray dog walking the street. I was fascinated by their way of life. So very, very poor, but generally happy.

This caused me to reflect on all the wonderful blessings I have. This was a thought provoking experience. I cannot imagine (in my wildest dreams) living under those conditions. In fact, I found it amazing that people survive and are happy living in complete poverty. Unfortunately, I do not speak Spanish and was unable to talk to any of them in any intelligent way. But, they did give us permission to take pictures of their children and families and seemed thrilled to have the attention. The little children ran after us when they found out I had suckers and gum. The smallest things brought a smile. My friends and I walked the little surrounding area and were touched by what we saw.

I watched some of the older children play......no videos, no game systems. They seemed content to have a friend, explore and watch us work. There was no one to entertain them, no where to "hang out", no movie theatres, no Sonic, no "fast food" no parks with toys to play on, no modern conveniences, just their own little existence. Amazing...they work hard, have nothing and they seem happy. I will think about that as I am living in "Bubbleville" enjoying all the comforts of home...and more.


Oh, and this is why we really went down to Mexico. The Eagle Project
in Pictures!











Kevin wanted to take this "doggie" home!


13 comments:

Amy said...

Looks like a lot of fun & a lot of work! And how come you didn't let Kev bring home the dog? Mean mom.

Michelle said...

What a great project and someone has great friends to help. All that house needs is a cozy quilt to hang on the wall.:)

Natalie said...

Oh man! What an experience. I have to say I don't do well seeing poverty. I always wish I could just bring them all home and give them what I have (totally unrealistic). I never have understood why I have been blessed so much.

Heidi said...

WE have always wanted to do something like that. I didn't hear anything about it. What a great experience.

Julie said...

A-MAZE-ING! Seriously, that is eye-opening. And to think life is so drastically different such a short distance away. Way to go! You gotta feel good after that!

Dallas and Krista said...

Debbie- I was so glad to spend this time with you! I am so lucky to have you as my new friend :) Can I steal some of your pictures for my blog?

The Smith Clan said...

What a great experience Debbie!! Our Bishop bore his testimony yesterday about having our kids as well as ourselves do hard things! YOu did it!! Way to go!

Debbie said...

Steal all you want Krista...and by the way...I loved having you guys down there. You and Dallas are the best! It was fun getting to know you better

{B}dreamy said...

What does it mean if my son, safely here in the states, still insists on wearing THOSE EXACT SAME PUMPKIN SHOES?! *B

Lacee said...

hey my blog is laceerae.blogspot.com. come check it out.

Nicole said...

Wow... what a great project. I think we really do live in a little "bubble" and it's nice to put things into perspective once in awhile! Way to go Kev-

Linda said...

I'm sure that was an eye opener!! I think Kevin deserved the dog after all that hard work...A man's best friend!!

Ashlee said...

This is such a cool experience! (PS...I feel like I know you well since I have heard all the best Deb stories..I am from Amy's old ward in Phoenix!)