Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Traveling Quilt


I wish I could say...."I'm almost finished!" Not even close! This quilt has traveled thousands of miles with me. Let's see.....to Switzerland, to Hawaii, to Texas, to Utah numerous times, to California a bunch, to New York, to Montana (twice), on a Mexican Cruise and various road trips I can't account for. You would think I would be finished!

This quilt will be special when I sew the last stitch. It all started in Houston, TX at the International Quilt Show. I found a booth with a specialty stamp that you actually stamp your fabric with. It gives you a 1/4 stitching line and a cutting line. So easy and fun. The only catch is that the quilt is best put together by hand stitching! A tedious and slow project. Just down my alley. I love the tedious nature of this project, it de-stresses me, although it will take me some years to finish. It is one of those projects that you work on occasionally when you have some sitting time. So I take it on vacations and road trips to pass the time.

I just returned from Hawaii and this little quilt project came with me. I worked on it alot....and I hated to put it away (thus the wrinkles). It is always in my fabric drawer waiting for the next trip away.

I have collected a full drawer of Civil War reproduction fabrics to use on this project. For some reason I absolutely love the reproduction fabrics (30's as well). They always catch my eye. This will turn out to be a very scrappy quilt....with no rhyme or reason for color choices. Those are the quilts I LOVE! I probably started this quilt 4 years ago.....and another 4 years will pass before I finish. Quilt On!

2 comments:

Linda said...

San Diego will be the next stop for your quilt. Can't wait it will be fun!! I should bring mine along so you can get me going on it. For someone who doesn't like to fly you are a traveling Queen!!

Heidi said...

This is my favorite of all the stamp quilts I've seen, but then everything you create is perfectly done!
(Maybe we should make a movie called "Confessions of a Quiltaholic".)