Monday, February 2, 2009

I've Received A Scolding (several times)

A certain person, who shall remain nameless, wonders why I did not blog about a wonderful vacation in New York City in October. There really is not an excuse, except for time! But since I have all the time in the world (he he he) here goes! Read on.........................

In October of 2008 (wow..last year) Max and I took an exciting vacation to New York City. Max has always wanted to go....and yes, I was luke warm. I am not a traveler (shocker!) We were invited to go with some friends of ours who had some business in New York for a few days. Max jumped at the chance, of course!

We stayed at the Marriott Hotel in Times Square (after changing our original Hotel). It was truly a great room, worth the trade...I forget what floor we were on....but we were up there. We had a bit of a view of Times Square. Awesome at night!

When Max travels he likes to see everything. He spends time mapping out the best sites, the best routes and we go. The weather was perfect. I was surprised!


On Sunday afternoon we went to Central Park, rented bicycles and rode the complete loop....I think it was 6 miles or so. It was really quite beautiful. The leaves were turning, something we do not get to see very often. It was an invigorating ride!

We visited several New York landmarks while we were there.....plus, we wanted to do some shopping. Every morning we got going as quick as we could because we did not have much time. One highlight was riding the subways. That was crazy! I was happy to remember that I have a car at home in the garage. It was fun to experience while on vacation, but everyday???? I think not!



One of our most interesting excursions was visiting Ground Zero. It was hard to imagine what went on there. Of course the re-building was taking place. It was a huge project and interesting to see the whole site. We also visited a small church right next to Ground Zero that was not damaged at all. It had several displays and pictures of people who lost their lives and evidence of those that had participated in the rescue efforts. Very interesting and heart wrenching.




It was fun to actually see Rockefeller Center. You hear and see so much about it on T.V. It was really there with the television studios and fun little shops surrounding it. We bought Kevin a T-shirt there....The Office, of course.


The highlight of our trip was the Broadway Play...."The Lion King." It was fabulous!
I could see it again! The costuming and characters were so well done....such imagination and creativity!

We made it to the top of the Empire State Building. We got a great tip before we left for New York. We called ahead and bought advance tickets....they were a little more expensive but well worth it. No kidding....we got to the top in about 8 minutes. We did not have to wait in one line...and believe me there was a line! The view from the top was breath-taking...kinda reminded me of Sleepless In Seattle....it was dusk and everything!

Other City Sites.....................

The Metropolitan Museum of Arts

A Corner Market..so quaint

The last day Max and I visited Bloomingdales...oh my gosh! We missed out. We didn't have enough time to shop! If I go back...that is the first place I will visit!

We had such a great vacation together. I must admit....I would go back!


7 comments:

Michelle said...

That lookes like a wonderful vacation. We went there a few years ago and your pictures brought back some great memories. So glad you bloged about it.

Julie said...

You forgot the adventurous purse purchases. Hehe. Next time. . . I so want to go. Girls trip? Ryan doesn't have much desire to go so I'm kind of on my own.

Donna said...

Hmmm....Bloomingdales is always a MUST! I love NYC! The shopping, the food, the sites, and the people are fascinating. Some of my favorites are the temple there, the broadway shows, a few of my fave restaurants, and Tiffany's.

I would love to go with Linds sometime.

Natalie said...

Okay, so that last comment was really me. I forgot I was logged into my mom's account (I was helping her solve some problems with her blog).

The Sieverts said...

Oh brings back memories of when i was a Nanny there. Such a fun place! i'm glad you shared your pictures!

Linda said...

Shame on you for not blogging this sooner!! Looks like a fabulous trip. I love NYC.....I'm thinking this would be so fun to make a girls trip? All the girl cousins and moms....boy could we do some damage.

Lacee said...

Looks like so much fun. I have never been to New York. You should talk my mom into the girls in my family and the girls in your family going. Maybe an extension of Newport...? ps Me and my boyfriend are coming to Mesa this weekend. Expect me to drop in.