Saturday, September 5, 2009

The First...A Special Day

I didn't get the chance to elaborate on a very special event in our family last month. My oldest granddaughter was baptized. This neglect was not an oversight.....just a result of my time management!

This sweet little girl is my oldest grandchild and as a result, she gets to experience all the "FIRSTS" in our family when it comes to grandchildren....events and activities. We shared a wonderful day with her...celebrating a very special day in her life. We witnessed the sweet moment when she was baptized by her father...all the little cousins showing much attention. Afterwards she was confirmed, again by her father, who gave her a wonderful blessing. I know that Riley was looking forward to this day for quite sometime. She is a tender, loving little girl who has set a wonderful example for all her little cousins to follow. We love her so very much and are aware of her sweet spirit.

I wanted to do something special to mark this day in her life.....something memorable that she could keep. After much thought I decided to compile a book of her family's testimonies. This required some tutoring from my daughter (computer skills), and some patience on my part. Another granddaughter is getting baptized soon, and I thought this would be a keepsake for both of them to be able to read testimonies from family members....grandparents and
great-grandparents. As I compiled this book, it became very special to read all the different testimonies from people that love Riley. Yep, I shed a tear or two! I hope this will be something she will read throughout her life when she needs a lift or just to remember how she felt on the day she was baptized. Riley, we love you and are so proud of you. You are a Sweetie!



This is fun scripture bag I made for Riley.....a tricky pattern that is so easy!

Julie had a fabulous lunch for everyone after the Baptism....even though it was a "scorcher" outside we had a fun time "inside" eating and visiting and enjoying this special day.

2 comments:

Julie said...

The last couple Sundays she has pulled out that book and read a few testimonies. It is a special keepsake for her! Thanks so much.

Michelle said...

What a wonderful idea for the special book you made her. I may need to copy that in 3 1/2 years when I have my first grandchilds baptism. The scripture bag is soooo cute.