Friday, September 11, 2009

Lessons Learned

Yesterday I came to the aide of one of my children. She was having company come from out of town...a few unexpected at the last minute. She had her hands full and I answered her call of desperation. I figured I could do something to ease the many things she had to accomplish by the end of the day.

I drove over to her house and surveyed the situation. My daughter was gone.... quickly doing errands while her kids were in school. I took it upon myself to choose what I would do to help. I cleaned some of her windows.....for some reason that REALLY helps to open up the windows and see a clean view outside. That was good for starters. Now...how do I say this kindly.....her back yard was a mess! So I set to work. Note that it was at least 106 degrees outside, but I was determined! But this is not even the point of my story.

As I was mowing, edging, weeding, sweating and trying to get it right, thoughts of my Dad came into my mind. I had visions of when I was a little girl working in my yard with my Dad. I was instantly overcome by all the things he had taught me. I smiled with satisfaction as I kept mowing. If you grew up in my home you were taught to work! Not only inside, but outside.....we called it "working on the rockpile!" As I worked in my daughter's backyard I felt very capable to "get the job done" by myself. And better yet.....I completely enjoyed it! The feeling of a freshly mowed yard does something for me! Crazy? But more than that I felt such gratitude for my Father and his constant effort in teaching me to work hard....until the job was done right. He made me come back and finish if it was not done right the first time. I took my turn weeding the "rock pile" that ran alongside our home. That was brutal....but he would check it and make sure it was perfect. Maybe that is how my "perfection" tendencies came about...for which I will not apologize.

I came from a family of 6 girls, so my Dad had it rough. He had to depend on girl-power! We all know how girls are....whiny! He hung in there. That must have been tough for him. We certainly didn't give him enough credit for his tireless effort. Every Saturday we had to answer the call to Yard Work! We all dreaded it, tried to get out of it, tried to be sneaky, maybe even told a lie or two! So true. But that didn't EVER get us out of our weekly yard duties, Oh no!

But if he could see his daughters today I think he would be proud.....all of us know how to work and get a job done. We have even tried to pass that "work ethic" on to our children. Pretty successfully....I do think. We are pretty hard task masters, capable when it comes to hard work. As I worked yesterday, I was determined not to walk away until I was satisfied with the way the backyard looked. At one point I was on my knees trimming under the swingset. I was laughing by myself! Yep, I was dripping but I had a smile on my face and a certain sense of satisfaction. Clean windows and a freshly mowed yard. Ohhhh that makes me happy!

I wish I could hug my Dad and tell him "Thanks" for his love, determination and consistency in trying to teach me the importance of hard work. Well, it worked! Who would have thought the "rock pile" could have had such an effect on my life! Hard work pays off.....Love you Dad

7 comments:

Amy said...

SO TRUE! I literally {as in the sweat is still dripping down my back} just came in from mowing my own lawn. Trimming bushes, edging to perfection! So I will take the opportunity to thank you mom for teaching me the ropes! All my neighbors think I am crazy for always doing my yardwork...I have to say there is nothing better than a yard worked to perfection. Pure satisfaction!

Amy said...

even more funny, I was out edging & thinking of grandpa myself & wondering what he would think if he could see us all now!

Laura Muir said...

I loved this post! It is so true that when you work hard in your yard you feel such great satisfaction out of the fruits of your labor. Mike and I were in the yardwork mode this last week too and got some long needed trimming done!
Happy Sunday!
_Laura Muir

The Smith Clan said...

Great blog Debbie! I had the same experience with my parents! And we did try to teach our kids the same thing! I think they really do appreciate it more now that they are older, just as Amy said, and have their own home and families they are trying to teach! Good for you!

The Sieverts said...

The rock pile never ends! I remember running to kind of hide when my friends (boys) in the neighborhood would drive by, because i was embarrassed that i was out there weeding the fitzers!Then I'd hurry and go back to work after they were gone. he he funny...

Nicole said...

Oh, I love this post... memories of Grandpa are the best!

Shelley said...

I love this blog! I get teased by my friends that I do the yardwork. They have yard ppl. I can't wait to do get out in my yard. As Dad showed me how to turn your shovel upside down to that perfect ditch around a bush or flower bed. I even got a lawn mower for Mother's day when we lived in Texas. It was my favorite. Rear wheel drive and easy start. A neatly cleaned up yard is a day well spent in the sun with gloves and a hat? Love you DAD!