Sunday, June 8, 2008

Heading For "Quilt Heaven"

It's Sunday afternoon and it is absolutely quiet at my house (believe me....it is so nice!) Kevin headed up to Salt Lake today for EFY and Max is, of course, at meetings. I hate to admit it but I love a little piece and quiet and time for myself. This brings me to my next thought....what do I do with my spare time? Any of my children would know the answer to that question (I hope!) I love to piece quilt tops!

I always have 4 or 5 quilts going at the same time. It is the most relaxing, stress relieving, enjoyable, creative thing I can think of...in other words...I am obsessed with it. The more tedious the project the better. My family always teases me about my obsession and my stash of "fat quarters" If there is any spare space in my house......it is taken over by my fabric stash. If you are traveling with me you may open up your suitcase and find a few "fat quarters" along for the trip simply because I ran out of room in my own suitcase!

As my children were married I always made them a quilt for their wedding. This was always so much fun because I loved doing it. The new babies in my family are welcomed with a new little quilt. Of course, they don't know the time and thought that went into their little quilt, but I just enjoy taking the time to make them something that I love. I always put a little message on the back of my quilts that is personal to them and sign and date it. Hopefully my children and grandchildren will treasure them as much as I do. Okay....enough of that!

Zack's baby quilt



Sophie's baby quilt


I have the best group of friends that love quilts as much as I do. We have become close friends because we enjoy the whole quilt thing and everything that goes with it....namely buying fabric! We get together often and even travel to quilt shows on occasion. We always want to make everything each other is making. I am currently working on a quilt that my friend Marae talking me into making. The rule if that we cannot buy any fabric (except the background fabric) to complete the quilt. Of course, everybody is ahead of me and almost finished....I am always that last one done with any project! It gets kinda crazy and out of control, but it truely feeds my need for something over and above the household routine. Who would have thought?

The current "quilt project"

Now for the whole reason I am writing these few words.....I am headed for Utah to another "Quilt Heaven". At least once a year I get together with my some of my sisters and we make a quilt together. Meaning......we each make the same quilt pattern.....maybe different fabric. This is a riot!!!! Not all of my sisters sew and enjoy this quilt thing (I am pointing my finger mainly at Alice!) Alice is the business whiz.....she rolls her eyes at the thought of petting fabric! Where did she come from? Anyway....I am so looking forward to this little trip......laughing, eating and staying up way too late. What's not to love? Stay tuned for a report on my trip to
"Quilt Heaven"

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Love the new Summer look of your blog. Finally a post about quilting. Everything looks wonderful.

Julie said...

I need to see more of the finished products. I feel like I always see the work in progress. . . I need results!!!!