Sunday, November 30, 2008

Grandparents Day with Riley


Riley invited me to Grandparent's Day at her school. A month ago she sent me an invitation letting me know that her class would be sharing some stories and honoring the Grandparents in her classroom. I love to go to these programs and watch my little grandkids participate in their classroom, meet their teacher and just be part of their school activities on occasion.

Julie informed me that I might have a chance to say a little something about some of the things that I love to do in my life or talk about some memories from my childhood. I had several weeks until the program and immediately thought it would be fun to make Riley a quilt to remember this special day! Lucky for me that Mom was in town. She agreed to help me make a quilt for Riley.

Riley's teacher's name is Mrs. Germaine. She had gone to so much effort and had a special program planned for all the grandparents in attendance. All the children sang songs about Grandparents, we had some yummy refreshments that the parents had made and then each student had a chance to read something about their Grandparent from a book they had put together individually from questions they had asked us earlier. It was darling! This is what Riley said about Us:


"My grandparents live in Mesa, Arizona. They also live in a little red house. What I love about it is the pool, but in the winter I play in the playroom. It is special!"

That made me smile. The children sang some more songs and then we were treated to a video show that Mrs. Germaine had put together. Each child had a chance to say something about their grandparents and then she had gathered pictures of all the grandparents and put it all to music. It was a tear jerker....I had to wipe a few away! It was very sweet.

At the end of the program all the grandparents had a chance to stand and talk about some things that were important in their childhood, or things that they enjoyed doing. It was interesting to hear what each of them had to say. One grandparent brought a game of "Jacks" and showed the children how it was played....remember that? Those were the simple, fun games!

I was able to give Riley her quilt and tell a little bit about why I love piecing quilts. I treasure handmade quilts and hope that Riley will love the quilt that we made for her. It was so fun to make in anticipation of this fun time I was able to spend with her. Riley is my oldest Grandchild....that makes her quite special! I love you Riley.....thanks for letting me share Grandparent's Day with you!




Riley took me a on tour of her classroom and showed me some of her artwork she has done. Mrs. Germaine worked hard with her classroom to make this a special time for Grandparents!

This is a poster made by Riley with facts she gathered about my life

This is Riley's turkey....it's quilty, she says!

We love you Riley!








4 comments:

Julie said...

Awwww. . . (wiping a tear)

Amy said...

Love the quilt! Love the program -- soo cute!

Natalie said...

Once again, I love visiting your blog just to view all the quilt posts!! Darling quilt!

I just got my quilt back on Monday! LOVE IT, Debbie! She did a fabulous job!

I am almost done sewing on the buttons and some other little do-dads before I get the binding on. Must show you when it's all finished.

The Smith Clan said...

Debbie, what a fun day! And your quilt is so adorable. ALmost as cute as your cute little grandaughter. How did you just whip that up so fast?