Sunday, January 25, 2009

Welcome To The Jungle

Kevin's J.V. Wrestling Tournament....yes, a jungle! A High School Gym filled with Wrestlers from 15 different schools.....sweating! We were in close quarters....there to watch Kevin wrestle in his J.V. Tournament. It was an individual challenge to move to the top in his weight class.

I really didn't know how Kevin would perform. He went into the tournament undefeated as a J.V. Wrestler. I hoped for the best and he did not disappoint us. He won the first two matches quite easily and quite quickly. As he moved up the bracket, his matches became more difficult as he went against other wrestlers that were moving up from all these different schools. They were tough!

I am still a little queasy about this wrestling stuff! It is certainly an individual sport. I have to say Kevin has paid the price to compete. He has worked so hard! He has learned to control his weight through his diet (no sweets...only low-calorie, healthy food), the coaches see that they are physically ready and Kevin has to prepare mentally to be confident and in control.

I was thrilled when Kevin kept winning! He gradually made it to the top eight, then the top four and was able to wrestle the championship for his weight class! I was so nervous! As the match started you could tell his opponent was experienced and quick. Kevin had to react and try his best to out-wrestle him. It was a close match, I had my finger crossed and we were all encouraging him from the sidelines. There was only a 1 point difference when his opponent pinned him in the last 9 seconds! It was a great match....Kevin was disappointed, but we were proud of his hard work and effort. Next year.....Kevin has his eye on someone to beat!

4 comments:

Julie said...

I put this comment on Amy's blog too:

We are so proud of Kev! I feel bad that we weren't there. I usually depend on the law firm communication line and it failed me this time. Sorry we were the losers of the fam! We'll be there next year. . . when he pins that dude!

Amy said...

Seriously, it was rank in there. So gross! But worth it of course.

Way to go Kev. You're the man.

Natalie said...

Way to go Kevin! Next year for sure!

Michelle said...

Way to go Kevin. I know how much hard work it takes and keeping the weight down is the hardest part of all. Good luck next year.