Monday, September 8, 2008

The Master Baker

Max decided he was going to head up Family Night tonight with his cookie bake-off. Let me give you the history behind this. Maury Tanner is famous in our ward for his oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. He is always baking them and taking them around. We are often the recipient of a plate of hot cookies. Maury always offers to teach you to make them if you call for an appointment on Sundays..... (I think he is being funny!) But seriously, everybody clamors for his oatmeal chocolate chip cookies. When he brings them over to our house, Max goes so far as hiding them in his drawer to get his fair share!

Max finally decided he was going to try and make them. He got the recipe and made a batch while I was in Utah last week. ( I have never seen him make cookies in my life.....this was a first!) He needed something to keep him busy while I was gone! I had a taste when I got home....I have to say they weren't too bad.

Tonight he decided he would make another attempt. He totally made them on his own! He follows the directions to the last letter. (I am giggling) I guess he got special instructions from the Chief! Well, I have to say they are delicious. Don't worry that they have a pound of butter in them....no wonder!



Here's the recipe.....need I say to follow it EXACTLY!

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 pound butter.....softened to room temperature (don't cheat)
4 eggs......room temperature (be sure)
2 cups C&H light brown sugar...firmly packed
2 cups C&H white sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp vanilla
4 cups flour
5 cups Old Fashioned Oats
1-2 cps of Girradelli's chocolate chips

If butter does not have time to REACH ROOM TEMPERATURE you can microwave for 20 seconds. Try the room temperature thing though!

In mixer add butter and sugars together and beat until creamy. Then add your eggs one at a time until thoroughly incorporated. Stop mixer and sprinkle in salt, soda, powder and vanilla. Slowly blend together and when ready alternately add flour and oats until well mixed. Add chocolate chips.

Bake in pre-heated oven at 400 for 11 to 12 minutes on cookie sheet. Cookies need to be golden and slightly soft in the middle. Time may vary a little with each oven. Remove from oven and let sit for 3 minutes before removing to cooling rack. Enjoy!

MMMMMMM Yummy!

3 comments:

Julie said...

We were the lucky recipients of some cookies over the weekend. Thanks Max!!! They were yummy!

But I have one thing to say. I only do chocolate chip cookies with the Girradelli's choco chips. And I am please to see Maury and I think alike.

Yet. . . I see a bag of Nestlie's on the counter! I think you should be locked up for that cookie crime!!!!

Linda said...

Those directions are pretty specific....it would take a master chef!! Max you have made a big mistake by starting to cook, now Debbie will put you in charge of that task. Its just like mowing the lawn...once you do it the job is yours. he he We will have to try the recipie they look pretty good.

Shelley said...

Thanks for the recipe.. I love to bake. It will be fun to try. Thanks to Maury. Maybe he could plan on that for the wedding lunch. ha ha! Now that our weather has cooled off in the evenings. We like to take around family night treats to six or seven families each week. Austin loves this tradition. I will make them and let you know.