Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Parable of the Razor

I have a story to tell.....one of those where you could say "I told you so"......but that's not nice! Nor is it something a 15-year-old teenage boy wants to hear from his mother. So...it has not been said. Instead I am contemplating how I can turn the tables and have a lesson learned. Or better yet an open mind that includes listening to your parents without rolling your eyes.

Kevin is a typical teenager. Every Friday and Saturday night is spent "hanging with your friends" basically doing nothing. Kevin is teetering between being too young to drive and date (but wanting to) and being too old to stay home and spend his time with the "Fam." A difficult age, for sure. However, he is quite obedient after he has voiced his loud opinion.

He is my last child at home and I am "overly" protective and watchful. In our neighborhood there is a huge group of kids his age. Generally they are good kids. Kevin has a definite group of friends who are always together. Here's the story.....

Last week Kevin and his friends were "hanging out" all day Saturday. Going from place to place trying to find something to do. Evidently they have a friend who is a bit older who has his license. This licensed driver was with them on Saturday and had access to a car to drive Kevin and his friends where they needed to go. When Kevin asked if he could go with this driver I said NO! ABSOLUTELY NOT!!! First of all, I don't know this boy, 2nd....he is a new driver, 3rd..... Does he even know how to drive, 4th..... there is a law in AZ about how many un-related kids can drive in a car with a new driver, 5th......It was just out of the question!

So the story goes.....whenever Kevin's friends decided to go somewhere else....Max or I would go pick up Kevin and take him to the next destination.....yeah, I know we are geeks but read on.
Kevin was surprisingly obedient. This is the funniest thing. At one point Kevin called me and said...."You can't believe what I am doing" "I am riding a dang razor to Rosa's to eat with my friends because I couldn't get in the car with them"....then he hung up! I was on the grass outside laughing so hard. It was one of those razors that you have to push with one leg to go. And yes, it was freaking hot outside! For a moment I felt sorry for him but Hey, he's a kid.

On Sunday I started to re-think my position. Kevin's friends are starting to drive and ultimately he will have to start riding with them at some point. Hmmmm what to do. I will have to think about this.

Fast forward to this weekend. Hanging out again on Saturday with the same friends. The licensed driver was not around this weekend. I volunteered to be the driver and picked Kevin and his friends up several times to take them where they wanted to go. I was grateful we did not have the same problem this weekend. I am totally willing to take them wherever they want to go. And I do make myself available. Well last night Kevin and his friends had talked about going to a girl's party to watch a movie outside. I had no problem with that. Kevin had been gone most of the day and early in the evening Max said, "I hope Kevin will come home early tonight" "Will you call him and ask him to" I said..."No, you call him and just ask him"
Well, it wasn't done. Then, an hour or so later Max said again...."I want Kevin to come home early tonight I am going to call him" So he did......he suggested to Kevin that he come home an hour or so early. But did not say he had to. Of course, Kevin announces his opinion, never saying yes or no. About half an hour later...Scot calls Kevin and says come home and watch the ASU came with me. (Keep in mind this is never the case.....Kevin NEVER comes home early!) Max and Scot did not know that each of them had called Kevin separately to come home early.

Well, about 9:00 Kevin comes strolling in the door...my first words are "What are you doing home so early?" He says "I don't know....guess I will watch the game with you guys" Shockaroo! I didn't know all this calling had gone on myself.

What's the point you wonder????? On the way home from the party all of Kevin's friends got in a car accident. They were in a car with a newly licensed driver (not the same boy as last week) and he ran a stop sign. Another car T-boned them. Two of Kevin's friends were injured and taken to the hospital....the others were found to be okay. Luckily, no one was seriously injured.....but I about DIED! Kevin would have definitely been in that car.

The funny thing is that McCall was the one to call and tell Kevin about the accident.....thanks girlie girl. Beau doesn't waste a minute! He was one of the boys injured. Anyway....I have goosebumps. I feel like Max was so impressed to make the call and ask Kevin to come home early. I hope Kevin had that little voice in his head telling him to listen-up. He was protected....I am glad nobody was seriously injured and I hope something good comes from this experience.

The moral of this story it....Obedience bring blessings. Riding a razor was never so good!

8 comments:

Julie said...

Okay, I'm tearing up. . . I know, I'm a dork. . . but I'm so glad Kev is safe. I don't want to get all gushy and stuff but how great that he has parents that listen to promptings and are careful with his rules. And I'm VERY impressed at Kevin's obedience. That's really hard at this age.

Oh, and next time he's riding the razor to Rosa's, have him pick me up a taco or two. :)

Linda said...

That is a great story! This for sure is a hard age....kudos for Kev for coming home no matter the reason. Maybe the parentols aren't so crazy after all. This is a good reminder for me to stay strong!

Shelley said...

I cant even believe beau called me that night. he was sitting in the hospital getting staples in his head and he had to text me at one in the morning and make sure i didnt think he forgot to call me because he got in an accident!!! I didn't get the text until sunday morning and i immediately called beau to make sure he was alright and asked if kevin was in the car. I was so relieved and surprised kevin wasn't in there. Kevin didnt even know about the accident when i called him. i thought it was really amazing that kevin came home... so unlike him. wow. i hate when my parents tell me to come home early, its the worst. haha im so happy max, scot, and kev were in-tune.

love you all,
McCall rose

Shelley said...

The first thing I said to McCall when she told me sunday morning was "forget about Beau is Kevin ok" she replied "Kevin wasn't even there". Then ,of course I got the full story from McCall. She was so worried about Beau and was making sure he was ok. He called later on Sunday to check in with McCall and I talked to him and said "1st never sit in the back of a Yukon or any other car" you know the cargo space. (I think that's what they were in) 2nd dah if Kevin Boyer is going home get your butt home too. 3rd don't text my daughter at 1 am again. And 4th help the driver pay attention and not get distracted! Glad it wasn't worse. I think all of us are nervous when the driving begins.
Kev Dog your my hero!
I told Jason , Max has a burning bush story to tell...

Natalie said...

Such an amazing experience. Have to admit I cried when Iread this. But I've been a cry baby about everything lately. I'm just so glad that everyone was in tune and Kevin was safe.

Amy said...

Okay I have to say this was all so crazy! The driving issue had been a topic of constant conversation & concern & while I laughed my butt off that Kevin rode a razor to Rosa's I was secretly proud of him. Mad props Kev. PLUS, it was totally Kev's decision to come home -- no one made him or forced him. Again...mad props Kev Dawg.

A good lesson in obedience for all of us -- even if it means riding a razor & being razzed by your friends.

The Sieverts said...

Great Story! Alisha heard me laughing and then crying and asked me what i was reading.- I really look up to you guys w/ your examples. thanks !

Andie said...

Hi Debbie, what a great story! I had my daughter Taylor read it, and she knew all about the accident too. Anyways, I am so glad he listened and came home, too. Thanks for sharing this, Andie