Thursday, August 28, 2008

Changes Anyone?

The new school year always makes me feel like I want to change some things. It feels like the beginning of a brand new year, even though it is not January. I always feel like the weather is going to suddenly get cooler (no luck there)....that never happens! I want to do yard work, but I can't! Aside from that, with the change of daily life, meaning kids are in school, I always feel like I need to change something, or organize something, or add something to my life.

This year, I gave it some intense thought. No matter what I do, my days are so full. Even if I think I have a free day....it always fills up on its own! I can't figure that out! So, I decided to take a little control this year. Here is what I came up with.......

Attend Institute
Our Stake always has a dynamite Institute Class. I have never gone because it seems I have been too busy. This year our Stake was divided and the wonderful Institute teacher is in the other Stake. Dang! They called another teacher for our new Stake. He is a former Mission President and former President of the Brazil MTC. He is in our ward...so that make it a little more personal.

The first class was Tuesday. I can honestly say I was excited to go. This year we will be studying out of Preach My Gospel. That was interesting to me. Lately we have been encouraged to learn from this manual and use it as a companion when studying the scriptures.

It is not only for the missionaries, but for us as well. I have heard many a testimony about the wonderful content of this book. So here goes! I will be going every Tuesday.

Tutoring
We have a program in our stake where we support the local elementary schools by way of tutoring. All you have to do is sign up and spend 1 hour a week helping elementary school children learn to read better. You have to be fingerprinted for safety purposes and then commit to that hour a week for a specific classroom. I decided I would give it a chance this year.

I was fingerprinted down at the City of Mesa and filled out the necessary documents. Yes, it took some time, but I was pretty determined to do it. I received my call this morning and was given and assignment to a specific teacher's classroom. So there! I am committed! I am sure I can give an hour a week to help a child. It might be kinda fun!

Exercising
This has always been a part of my life. I do enjoy it! Lately though, due to summer vacations and too many temptations I have let it go just a little. If there just wasn't ice cream and M & M's in this world! Those are my weaknesses! I went back to the gym seriously on Monday morning. I have a trainer and I hate the fact that I pay someone to help me and then don't follow through sometimes.

Believe it or not.....I can already see the results since Monday. Quit eating that junk!

Apple One to One
I am one of those clueless mac computer owners. No more! I am totally committed to learning about this dang computer. I have already been to 3 classes and I can see an improvement. There now children....what do you think of that? Talk to me in six months and I will design your website! hehehehe

Food Storage
This is a tough one! I am working on it, but expect to do much better! I need to get a handle on this. I have already begun. We have a woman in our Ward that owns a Bosch dealership. She always has several classes going that would be a huge help to me. In September she is teaching some interesting canning classes. I have signed up to go and see what I can do better.

I just bought a bunch of wheat....now what???? A friend of mine came over and cooked her bread recipe for me. It was delicious! Now I have to perfect it! This will be a constant concern for me. Julie has a great idea on rotating food that I need to put it into practice. Stay tuned for my success stories! Hmmmmmm

Quilting
My family teases me about this one. The thing is.....I enjoy it so much! Soooo, my goal is to finish as least 3 projects that I have already started. I have so much fabric and so little time! I have my eye on some classes to learn a few new things.

Mom can vouch for me on this one. Once you start sewing quilts together you are hooked!

I don't expect to be perfect in all of these new ventures....but it feels good that I did something about them!




5 comments:

The Sieverts said...

Wow! sounds like you have a full plate of things to do. that is so great. i look forward to the time that i can fit all those things i WANT to do in.- looking forward to you coming up to sew!

Shelley said...

Deb...
I wish you lived here to help Austin at school. I end up going in and helping. I get double duty. I help him at home and at school. It is hard to find people who give it there all and do the job, even the teachers. I guess I am just to picky. sounds like you are off to your own schooling this year. Good luck!

Michelle said...

Please don't do all of these things perfect or I will hate you. jk You are an inspiration.

Linda said...

You are so on top of everythng! Why is it that the school year brings these kinds of feelings? I am still trying to get my food storage in order. I guess what counts is that we are trying...good for you!

The Smith Clan said...

Okay Debbie, I do attend my institute class on Thurs. BOM. But on my list of things to accomplish is: how many of my old and new projects will I be able to finish this year Sept- May??? What is wrong with my goals?? And I agree with Michelle, only I'm saying if you even complete all of them I will be very jealous!Go Debbie! Elaine