Thursday, August 7, 2008

Kevin....aka Jimmy Hendrix wanna be

Kev....Kev....Kev....What's the deal with this Jimmy Hendrix fascination? Isn't it crazy that when your kids get a certain age they start to appreciate the music that you listened to when you were young! Who would have thought? Read on..........

We bought Kevin an acoustic guitar for Christmas last year. We thought...this will be great! Max was constantly begging me to find Kevin a piano teacher. I was luke warm. Chalk that up to experience with three other kids. I just didn't want to fight the practice thing and Kevin thought it was so un-cool!

Max came up with this bright idea......a guitar! I kind of jumped on the band wagon because it got me off the hook....no piano lessons. When Kevin saw his guitar at Christmas he thought it was pretty cool. I immediately found him a guitar teacher who is fabulous at letting him play the music he loves and that is how he teaches Kevin to play the guitar. No boring stuff! I like that. Well, long story short.....Kevin jumped into it. All of a sudden he loved the Beatles, James Taylor and The Red Hot Chili Peppers. Wow, I was happy. In fact, he played his guitar regularly for hours. He found music on the computer and would listen to music on his I-Pod and try and duplicate it. It was fun to watch him be so excited about playing. He was trying so hard.

Well at some point he discovered Jimmy Hendrix and became fascinated. I remember listening to him (not liking it) when I was young. What is so great about Jimmy Hendrix, except he was considered a fabulous guitar player. This leads me to the next part of the story......read on.

Kevin took his acoustic guitar to Montana and would just not put it down. He was always strummin' (so his friends say). In the little town of Polson, Montana, Kevin found a guitar store while they were on a break during their 3 on 3 basketball tournament. Of course, he found the perfect electric guitar. That was all it took. He would not take NO for an answer. He wanted that guitar. Ryan and Julie had given him a Jimmy Hendrix guitar book for Christmas and he was just itchin' to get started. You can't play Jimmy on a regular guitar!

Tryin' out the guitar


Kevin's in heaven...you wouldn't know it by the look on his face!

Max gave in (what a good dad) and let Kevin buy the guitar (with his own money). Max chipped in to buy a small amplifier. Let the noise begin. Oh my gosh! He is playing......I try not to say anything because he is constantly practicing. He needs more practice. He is now even open to singing lessons....I am surprised.....lessons are questionable. His friends are thumbs down on that.....Kevin has a terrible voice.....they all laugh and say good luck! Kevin just smiles and walks around in his Jimmy Hendrix T-shirt.....he is not easily discouraged! There may be some concerts coming up. (Bring your ear plugs)

Just a side note: We talked Kevin into playing for us (and friends) in Montana around a campfire beside the lake. Kevin was willing. He and Beau had worked up a number, Collide, which is a popular Pop song. Evidently they had been practicing at Beau's cabin. After much coaxing we talked Beau into singing while Kevin played. Oh my gosh....my jaw dropped. Beau has the most beautiful voice. I mean it is really good. Who would have guessed? I am going to have them work up a number they can do together.....I need a good bribe!

2 comments:

Julie said...

That's awesome. . . Where's my concert that I was promised in Newport??????

Michelle said...

I love your new look! You really are the Blogging Queen Bee!!!!! Today was fun so lets sew again on Monday. Kevin is a doll and you win the best Grandma award.